Saturday, April 18, 2009

Wilting Spinach


It has been a very busy day in the garden.

I woke up and planted the parsley seeds I'd been soaking all night. Then set out for the Home Depot and purchased some 8 foot long wooden planks to frame my garden bed and some soil and peat. I also solicited some advice from the other shoppers- home gardeners sure are a friendly bunch.

My uncle brought the leveler and power tools and together we built a lovely frame. We planned out how we'll level the bed, since it is a bit sloped. More photos to come. We may need to build a second bed for some of the plants that need a lot of room. I'm envisioning a pumpkin patch. That shouldn't be such a hard sell.

This was the second sunny day in a row and the warmest day we've had all year. Temperatures reached the mid 70s and I knew my babies where feeling it when I noticed my spinach seedlings passed out in their tray. I moved them to the shade and am hoping for the best.

Everything I planted April 3rd is sprouting! And the first seed of the April 12th batch is just shy of peaking through the soil's surface. And the winner is- cucumber!

Send happy thoughts to my spinach!

Update: It has been a couple hours since I moved the plants into the shade and the spinach seems to have mostly recovered. All but a few of the sprouts are standing up straight again.

AND I forgot to mention that the zucchini has sprouted and they look amazingly solid. You can see them on the lefthand side of this pic. The photo was taken a few hours ago, now several of them are standing up and open.

No comments:

Post a Comment