Saturday, April 11, 2009

The Garden To Be


Happy spring!

It has been a long and dreary winter, but we made it through. I've spent a lot of time looking forward to this season and have decided to get in touch with my inner gardener this year.

A little over a week ago, I went over to the garden center of our local hardware store and picked up several envelopes of seeds. I just grabbed whatever looked good to me. I have absolutely no background or expertise in gardening or horticulture, but I figure I'll give it a try. The garden center employee I consulted was more than happy to give me several trays to plant my seeds in, free of charge. I also commandeered an egg crate from our kitchen to plan the little guys in.

In all, getting started cost me about $20. The trays were free and we had some soil left over from last year. The packets of seeds ran about $2 per variety.

I enlisted the help of my nine year-old cousin and together on April 3rd, we planted a few trays full of tomato, lettuce, zucchini, onion, cucumber and cabbage seeds. I plan on documenting their growth with this journal.

7 days later we noticed our first little sprout! The tomato seedlings appear to be the first to peak out of the soil, but the lettuce seeds aren't but a day behind the tomatoes.

I've been keeping the trays out on our back porch in direct sunlight. Although, the tomato packet recommended keeping the seedlings indoors near a window, so I bring those in at night and on chillier days. Today has been particularly rainy so I brought in both the tomato and lettuce trays. I'm a little worried the other trays are getting too much water, but the sun should come out this afternoon and hopefully that will just solve everything. I don't want the little guys to drown before they even sprout!

No comments:

Post a Comment