Thursday, April 16, 2009

The Big Red Hope

The tomatoes are coming, the tomatoes are coming!

Turns out I haven't killed the tomato seedlings I planted April 3rd by leaving them out for a couple wet, chilly nights. Today there are a total of four little sprouts coming up from the soil.

The sun has been shining all day and temps have reached 58 degrees.

I also made a trip to the garden center again today. I bought a soil test kit, some herb seeds (parsley, mint, and basil) and zinnia seeds. The herbs I plan to keep in little pots and maybe gift a few to friends once they mature. I also bought a couple trays made of peat that are a little deeper than the egg cartons I'd been using. They can be planted right into the ground so it won't disrupt the roots when they're transplanted.

And I bought a tray of these little peat disks that come in a little plastic greenhouse tray. All you do is add seeds and water and supposedly they just grow up faster than you can say "little peat disks that come in a little plastic greenhouse tray."

We shall see.

New pictures will be up tomorrow afternoon. Check back!

No comments:

Post a Comment