Saturday, May 9, 2009

Over a Month into the Project

April 3rd, I planted my first seeds and I'm glad to say most of those are already in the ground. I may have rushed them in my enthusiasm to get that first cucumber, but all appears to be well in the garden. And I have plenty of back up seedlings if the first troops are defeated.

The next problem to solve is really, where am I going to put all my extra little plants? This week I should buy some containers and more soil.

I also need to think about what kind of system of defense I am going to construct to keep the rabbits out of my plot. I'm thinking some kind of wire netting stapled to stakes and put up like a fence around the perimeter of the garden. I want it to be easy for me to move aside so I can get in for watering and weeding (and eventually, harvesting!) without too much fuss.

I put some new dill seeds into the same tray of soil that has refused to give the gift of life to the seeds I planted Aptil 12th. I find it hard to believe they are taking this long to germinate. Something must have gone wrong, though I'm not sure what that could be.

I did the same with the tray mint seeds that haven't sprouted. I just sprinkled in more teeny, tiny seeds, dusted in a little soil, watered it and now I'm hoping for the best.

Come on dill and mint! We're all rooting for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment