Friday, May 8, 2009

Back from Florida!


My transplants are just where I left them, for the most part! With the exception of one wilted cucumber plant and two pumpkin transplants that vanished without a trace. The act of the vanishing pumpkin plants really is peculiar. I planted four and they appeared equally hardy. . .but so goes the way of nature.

Today has been the first sunny day here in Maryland in nearly two weeks and I took full advantage by getting into the garden and doing some more transplanting and light weeding. I have serious doubts that the spinach and lettuce will survive the high summer temperatures, but I put a few of them in the ground anyway. I also transplanted two more zucchini plants, three more tomatoes and some cabbage.

I planted some new seeds I picked up in Florida, too- peas, oregano and cilantro. Those should sprout real quick. The peas and oregano that I planted at my parents' home in Florida germinated in just 48 hours.

The seedlings I left indoors while I was gone also fared well under the care of my aunt. The plants that grew the most were there lettuce, zucchini, and tomatoes.

The only duds of this entire endeavor has been the dill, which I planted weeks and weeks ago and has shown no interest in sprouting. The mint I planted outside of the mini green house hasn't done well either. Although, the mint seeds I grew in the greenhoused peat pellets are still growing strong. Tiny, but strong.

Storms should roll through town again tomorrow, we'll see how the new transplants do and I'll get a pic up of them real soon.

3 comments:

  1. i have to say you are doing way better than I am with this growing from seed thing. Many of mine died--but so far my dill is still alive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, where do you keep your seedlings? Mine keep going all stringy and leggy. Maybe because they are searching for sun--but then so am I. The Northwest certainly isn't known for its sun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry to hear about your lost seedlings! I found out what that feels like when I returned from vacation to find a few of mine all shriveled up.

    I keep them next to a sliding glass door, turning the trays if I see them leaning too far over. Since the weather has improved, I've kept them out on the porch in full sun. I have to be careful though because some of them start to wilt if it is too hot, then I move them to the shade.

    Good luck with the weather! It could only get better, right?

    ReplyDelete