Saturday, May 23, 2009

Hit Again!


Who is doing this to my plants?? A bird? A squirrel? A neighborhood hooligan?

About 7:30 this morning, I went out to water my plants and just look at what a sad scene awaited me on the porch. One of two strapping tomato seedlings I had recently transplanted into bigger containers was lying next to its planter. I could almost hear the roots gasping for soil and moisture. There the plant lay on the porch railing, like a beached whale drying out in the summer sun.

And for what? My tomato plants are weeks, if not months, away from bearing fruit. A single leaf was ripped from the seedling. What's worse, the leaf wasn't eaten or carried away. No, it was just severed and left there to wilt inches away from the fading body.

I immediately returned the plant to its rightful place and watered generously, but it may have been too late. It has been about an hour now and the plant is leaning over to one side, looking like it has given up.

I'll keep you posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment