Friday, June 5, 2009

Flash Flood Warnings


It has been raining and raining and raining. And raining.

I haven't been able to spend much time in the garden, but it appears the plants are doing fine without me. Lots of flowers are beginning to bloom on the zucchini and yellow squash and buds are definitely developing on the pumpkin and cucumber plants. It looks like it won't be long before we'll be eating the squash actually-- check the photo!

I managed to get some plants into my second bed before the monsoon hit. I decided to plant three rows, instead of four, to reduce crowding. I planted several tomato plants and a few pea plants in the back row. The second row is home to a lettuce plant, zinnia, onion and lots of spinach. The front row has basil, dill, cucumber, 2 zucchini and 1 yellow squash.

I wish I had thought to put the onion in the middle of my first bed, then the zucchini and pumpkin and yellow squash wouldn't be all smushed up against one another. The pumpkin and cucumber are starting to put out vines too. Are they going to choke one another with those? I installed some stakes and a little trellis for them to grab hold of; hopefully, that'll help.

No comments:

Post a Comment