Saturday, June 20, 2009

The Battle of the Slug

The slugs are everywhere, in greater numbers than the caterpillars and doing much more damage.

I bought a product called Ortho "EcoSense" to combat them, but I don't think I'm going to use it. The active ingredient in it is iron phosphate, which in and of itself doesn't set off any red flags in my mind. But then again, how would I know? Ortho isn't exactly a brand known for natural products and I'm put off by the packaging which I find really deceptive. Under the EcoSense label it says in small text, "not intended to imply environmental safety either alone or compared to other products."

If I were just going to use the product on my lawn and flowers, I wouldn't be so bothered by it. But what comes out of my garden goes into my family's kitchen, and ultimately into us, so I think I'll pass on the chemicals.

Thanks, but no thanks, Ortho.

No comments:

Post a Comment